Wednesday, August 15, 2007

First day

As some of you might know, I'm now employed by Spotless as an usher/concierge in a place called Perth Convention Exhibition Centre (PCEC). Well, 13/8/07 was my first day of work. It was suppose to be on the 7/8/07 but the people canceled the event and therefore, I don't need to work on that day.

Ok ok...I think I'm going ahead of myself...Let us back track abit. ^_^

This place, PCEC, is a really high class place. well, at least I think it's a high class place. I suppose you can say it's an "events place" (if there's such a term). People hold meetings, ballroom events, stage performances, dinners, weddings, exhibitions, etc. PCEC runs a recruitment drive about 3 times in a year and they hire casuals (almost like part time workers little bit more freedom in terms of work schedule).

I went for the one day recruitment drive, filled out the application form and waited for an interview on the same afternoon. Right after the interview, I was offered the job. How great is that?!?!?! To top things up, I was sort of desperate for a job...wanted to get a job which allows me to work during the winter break (and of course during the semester) because during winter, my working hours per week is unlimited (visa thingy...). This recruitment drive thing was done somewhere towards the end of winter. Now that, my friends, is a miracle =D

Although I didn't start work during the winter break, I'm thankful enought that I got a good paying job ($17 per hour for working weekdays, $20 per hour for working weekends). The only downside is that it's in the city, roughly 40 mins bus ride and I've to work night shifts most of the time because of my uni schedule. But, as I said, I'm thankful enough I got the job.

On to my first day...

I was given a briefing about what I was suppose to do for that night and as the supervisor said, "Clear as mud, eh?" LOL! I was on duty as a concierge that night and did basically reception work. So, I sat there and waited for people to either ask questions or to pick up the phone which I failed quite miserably on the first phone call =S I was pretty much alone the whole time because:-
  1. all the senior workers were off as it was pass normal working hours (was working 5-9pm)
  2. the other people on duty where at a different place
  3. almost all the events for the day were done.

So, yeap...that was pretty much my first day. Learnt a lot of things but didn't do much. But come to think of it, I earn big bucks for just sitting there the whole night.

At the end of my shift, a friend picked me up from work. Now, that was when the drama started. She wasn't very familiar with the place and the same goes to me...so, when she reached the place, she didn't know where to pick me up cause she couldn't find the entrance. The only entrances she saw were the bus entrance to the bus port and also an entrance to the parking lot which she had to pay for if she entered.

I think it took us about 45 mins to finally find each other!! The worse thing was that while talking, my phone died. Can you imagine how freaky that was?!?!?! In the middle of the night, in the city of a foreign country and oh yes, it was starting to drizzle. I feel so sorry to put my friend into such panic =(

But all was well.

A pretty good first day, I'd say ^_^

p.s.: should have taken a photo of me in uniform...sigh...nvm, will be working again this saturday (weekend...yay!) kekekekeke

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found typo!! hehe.

"Although I didn't start work during the winter break, I'm thankful enought that I got a good paying job ($17 per hour for working weekdays, $20 per hour for working weekends)."

Ji, I'm bored. Talk to me. Ah ko coming home in 6 days!!! can't wait.

Whei Yeap said...

Lolz...seems like u're having fun working eh...hehehe...i wan a pic of u in ur uniform!!!!:P

Anonymous said...

ish...ng yan mei!!! u are too bored...pick on ppl's typo =S