Saturday, November 01, 2008

Procrastinating

P.R.O.C.R.A.S.T.I.N.A.T.I.O.N.
Hmm...This word seems to be taboo word especially in times where examinations are just round the corner or when assignments are due. I was reading Purpose Driven Life (sounds like a very deep book, and it is...lol!) and one of the daily devotionals had "procrastination" as the title heading. Caught my eye! Anyway, the interesting thing is that it highlighted the 8 phases of procrastination. Boy, did it sound so familiar!
Phase 1: Hopeful – “I’ll start early this time.”
Phase 2: A little tension – “I’ve got to start soon.”
Phase 3: Creeping guilt – “I should have started sooner.”
Phase 4: False reassurance – “There is still time to do it.”
Phase 5: Getting desperate – “What’s wrong with me?”
Phase 6: Intense pain – “I can’t wait any longer!”
Phase 7: Get it over with – “Just get it done!”
Phase 8: Cycle repeats – “Next time, I’ll start earlier.”
Yup, 8 phases. To top things up, it's a CYCLE! This means that it something addictive or it becomes a habit and it comes back to 'haunt' you! Now that somebody has highlighted that procrastination is an addiction, it's high time that we acknowledge this problem (like how addicts admit of their addiction) and deal with it! We've got all the time in the world if we didn't procrastinate.
Say NO to procrastination!!!
(instead of drugs/smoking - hehehehe)
Sincerely,
procrastination addict =P

No comments: