Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Expectations

Hey!

I'm suppose to be studying for my Medical Laboratory Science practical exam TOMORROW but...I just finished my chemistry online quiz and now I feel like taking a break before I hit the books again.

So. I've been thinking. I've actually got quite high expectations of myself and of others. In some cases or with some people, my expectations does not seem all that high. In fact, reasonable. But in MOST cases, my expectations of others are high and this, i realise, creates tension in my relationship with the other person or just basically create tension in the atmosphere. The thing is, I get disappointed most of the time and it's also not good for me (health wise). But come to think of it, if i don't have high expectations, then probably nothing will be done at tip-top condition (I'm starting to sound like a perfectionist).

I suppose my mistake is that I don't voice my expectations and then when I push my team mates/colleagues towards what I think is ideal, they don't know what i want exactly and that is where the disappointment sets in. I also have this mentality that if I'm disappointed, I'll 'forgive' them and the way i 'forgive' them, i think, isn't quite right either. I'll go like, "yup, it's ok...Not much damage is done. I'll settle with whatever has been done". Then, the worse part is that I'll let my frustration out by telling others!!!!! oh dear.......................that's not forgiving. It sounds more like stabbing the person behind their back.

Having high expectations isn't wrong. Just that we've to learn how to manage others to meet that expectations. Once the management part goes well, whether or not your expectations are met, I've a feeling that you'll still be happy even expectations are not met.

So, learn a lesson from me. Nicely tell others what you expect especially when it comes to group work. Don't assume that their standard of work is the same as yours. Believe me, it's never the case...speak your mind but there's a way of doing this 'properly' too (properly=not offensive). It's a learning process for you and me. I'm still learning. Just that I'm at the stage of realisation and hopefully moving on to the stage of implementing.

Just for sharing...in case some of you don't realise, like i just have.

well, that's all folks! take care!

2 comments:

Yan Mei said...

Quote: "Just that we've to learn how to manage others to meat that expectations."

MEAT? What you wanna eat them or something? If not, give it to me ya? I hate vegetables.

Yan Hua said...

oops...sorry lo...missed out on that one when proof reading. haih...was in a rush.

ok ok. changed!